Pages

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Top Ten Teleportation-Worthy Meals

After a lovely dinner at Mer Bleue in Cyprus one night, the conversation started to spin off of topic from discussing what an amazingly good meal it was to the criteria for what classifies as a good meal. Then, as conversations typically do with Paul and I, it continued to veer into a whole other direction. Paul decided that he had just experienced one of the best dinners of his life. Of course, I wanted to know the criteria for his decision. Was it the quality of food? Did location and/or company play a role in the ranking process? What about service? Atmosphere? Of course, all of these were vital elements in his decision. We continued to discuss what other meals we have experienced together that are some of the "best". Finally, Paul decided that the meals that classify as the "best" means that you would, at almost any moment in your life, be willing to magically teleport to the location and share a meal with those who were there during the initial experience(s). He also decided that we needed to create a list of the "top ten teleportation-worthy meals." After struggling for some time with my list, I believe that I have finally arrived with a pretty comprehensive list of 15. I can not begin to tell you how many evenings made the list, then were unfortunately pushed off because of the limit of 10 that Paul and I originally set. I simply can not pair my list below the 15. To me, many of these meals represent not only the food, but the gatherings and the social situations that each location captured for me at that time in my life. Each time I look at the list, I rearrange it too...so the order is not really set in stone either. Depending on which criteria I'm grading it on, the order drastically changes. Basically, it's a pretty fluid list.

As I prepare to post this blog, I am already thinking about my next blog which will most certainly have to be about cooking and hosting my first Thanksgiving dinner. I wonder, am I becoming an amateur food critic? I'm going to have to get back to writing about traveling and the wonderful places I've been able to experience! :) lol


By the way, if any of you reading the blog have a special place that you think is "teleportation-worthy" you should post it in the comments section. I'd love to see other people's lists. Keep pressuring Paul if he doesn't post his list soon, he discussed some good choices too. It will be interesting to see how similar or not his is to mine. :)


Top Ten Teleportation-worthy Meals

Okay, fine. I admit, I can’t cut it to 10. It has to be the top 15 :

1. Havana Rumba with friends and family (and an ultimate margarita or two)
2. Sidewalk café in Paris, complete with a carafe of wine, street performer, and crepes
3. Chongs with Mom and Aimee, complete with wonton soup, eggrolls, friend rice with duck sauce, and chow mein
4. Oyster Stew on Christmas morning with my family (and plenty of oyster crackers). It doesn’t matter if my grandma or my dad cooks it, it’s the best. :)
5. Willow Pond, complete with hushpuppies and our family/friends after a long day on the lake
6. Meze at Mer Bleue with al fresco dining beside the Mediterranean Sea and more courses than one could possibly eat!
7. Nobu- Japanese Fusion in Las Vegas
8. Hikomon- Japanese (sushi specifically) in Louisville
9. The Royal Orchid with prawn crackers and their amazing service (and specially reserved corner table for us)
10. Mr. Lucky’s 24/7 late breakfast after a long night (or early morning) in the Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas
11. Thanksgiving at Mom and Dad’s house (complete with all of our family traditions)
12. Paul’s family Thanksgiving or Christmas (complete with all of the favorites and games)
13. Hotdog from a street vendor while meandering through the NYC, soaking up the sights the city has to offer
14. Swedish fika with the Jonssons
15. Tie between Patti's and visiting the Arabian Nights dinner show as a child with my family (this is almost strictly the experience, because quite honestly I can't even remember what the food was)

2 comments:

  1. Grandma, you posted on Facebook that you didn't have one for the list but I just thought of our Luau in Hawaii. It should have made the list, if not from me, definitely from you! :) You know they had great punch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I would say The 3sided Spot always serves a good meal with great talking and laughter. A great place to solve the worlds problems.

    2.I would totally close my eyes and end up in Paris sitting behind the palace having chicken and potatoes with strawberry melba while watching the tower light herself up.

    3.Pasta in Nice with the prettiest salad I have ever seen.

    4.An apple pastry in Venice hand-made from a little ole' grandma that was so true blue, I can close my eyes right now and taste it and smile at Grant's reaction to it.

    5. Luau Maui---pork was so tender

    6. Swedish Nights!! hard the next day but oh so fun that night!

    7. Camp Fire meal with my dear sweet Grandpa that has been gone for a long time now.

    8. Any Grant steak! and the whole event that goes into it.

    9. Lunch with the ladies that laugh, any food for this is good.

    10. A child's airplane meal on a 10 hour flight, boy they are always FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete