Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A String of 30's

A couple of nights ago, April rounded up our trusty group of Hiltonites for our first 30th birthday celebration. Jenn was the first to reach the milestone, leaving her 20s in the dust (not a difficult task here in the dessert) and welcoming a new portion of her life in Abu Dhabi.

Poppagallo at the Le Meridian Hotel was the destination of choice, primarily because we wanted to try the Italian that Abu Dhabi Weekly raved about and partly because it was a tame option for a school night. J Travis was the only one in attendance who braved the Weekly’s recommendation and tried the Duck and Blue Cheese pizza. Apparently it was tasty, but not being a big fan of duck or pizza, I opted for a delicious Seafood and Black Ravioli. Any guesses as to what Paul ordered from their extensive Italian menu? You don’t know Paul very well if you didn’t immediately respond lasagna. It was as decent as any in the city he mentioned, but secretly I think he misses the sausage in it. I don’t think veal sausage holds the same lure for him. My favorite, as usual, however, wasn’t my entrĂ©e. Their bread was fresh, soft, and came with a variety of tasty spreads and sauces for dipping. A trio of color came in the form of a bright red, thick, spreadable marinara, alongside fresh green pesto, and what we assumed was olive with fresh garlic turned out to be some sort of dipping sauce with grated cheese. Only the delectable bread and crispy thin breadsticks rivaled the assortment of sauces. I could have only eaten several helpings of that and been quite happy. As it was, though, the ravioli was a grand second choice.

The atmosphere at Poppagallo really made the evening, however. Through the lobby of Le Meridian Hotel, one exits off to the side, crosses a vibrant red bridge arcing over a stream of colorful coy fish and burbling brook. The intensity of the urban city is transformed in the midst of this outdoor courtyard housing several restaurants into an oasis, complete with lush green vegetation and flowering plants. Patrons can stroll through the dining options along a brick walkway and stumble upon many viable options for the evening, choosing to dine outside in the courtyard or inside each location. The obvious choice, especially in Abu Dhabi right now with fresh evening air and temperatures hovering around 30C (close to 85F), is of course outside dining. Even some local felines found their way into the courtyard to enjoy the company and greenspace.

Greatly enjoying the time to catch up with friends teaching at the two other schools, the evening passed quickly and pleasantly. One of the true highlights of the evening was when the restaurant’s band strolled over to serenade Jenn on her birthday and started with “Brown Eyed Girl.” Who knew a Phillipino mariachi band consisting of a cello, acoustic guitar, and vocals could produce such a pleasant rendition of classics? With the first few cords of “Build Me Up Buttercup”, Paul leaned over and commented about how much his mom would enjoy this moment. And it was true, she would. Well, on second thought, I’m sure most anyone would. It was one of those moments in life that make you appreciate where you are in your life, relish the moment, and smile.

Inevitably, at some point throughout the night, the conversation turned to the big 3-O. This night ushered Jenn out of her 20’s straight to 30, but she was soon to be in good company. Paul is on his final descent (or ascent?) and reaches 30 in a few short weeks. I at least have a good couple of weeks left, not leaving my twenties behind until January. At this time, I still say 28 was harder than 30. I’m not sure if it’s the distance of my birthday or the fact that I’ve accepted the inevitable, but I think this birthday will be much easier than realizing at 28 I’m completing a portion of my life and stepping into the next decade of age. Although off topic a bit, I do have to mention that the most prevalent feeling about my birthday is that I’m not spending it with my brother (on the day or some other random weekend in January). Of course we shared the actual birth day, but every milestone day since then has been ushered in with strawberry cakes for him and white for me, gathered around my parent’s dining room table with family. Our lives have been vastly different for some time now, but the commonality of our birthday, cemented with the traditional race to be the first one to wish each other a happy birthday, is different this year. Maybe I’ll actually be triumphant in the race this year, seeing as how I’m 10 hours ahead of him now. I wonder if he’d mind a 1 am wakeup call while I’m having lunch? :)

In trying to sum up my thoughts and feelings about this blog, that evening, and my looming birthday, and I’m seemingly at a loss for words. A quite difficult task for me- even if verbal words don’t present themselves, if I sit down at a keyboard, thoughts normally flow freely through my fingertips. Perhaps the summation of this blog hasn’t happened yet. Maybe instead of purely introspection, I need to experience my part of the saga by stepping into the world of thirty myself. Everyone’s door to thirty is different, at least in little ways…but with the way things are going right now I think my door quite possibly could be a hanger in an airport. Or better yet, a hatch to an airplane with the location different each time the airlock is broken and I’m ushered to the next destination of choice or chance. I couldn’t have imagined that Paul and I would ever be at this point in our lives, able to travel as often or with as much variety as we have. We are very thankful for everything and everyone who have had some part in paving our way thus far, allowing us to stride across the threshold of thirty with a carry-on in hand and a laptop strapped to our backs- looking forward to the next destination in our journey.

Author’s note: This blog was typed on the before mentioned laptop while sitting in gate 40 of Abu Dhabi International Airport waiting for flight EY93 from Etihad Airways to take off on its nonstop flight to Larnaca, Cyprus to enjoy our holiday. :) Eid Mubarak!

No comments:

Post a Comment