Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"Wrecked" World Premiere- Abu Dhabi Film Festival

Attending a world premiere of a movie at the Abu Dhabi film festival, held in the impressive and expansive Emirates Palace, seems like an evening's plans for celebrities and those with much more "wasta" (the term for influence, or pull, here in the UAE) than me. Except that last week, we did just that. Paul and I have our own Gala passes which secure tickets to all of the premier gala movies, including a world premier attended by VIPs and celebrities!
Some days I have to stop and remind my self that I really am living abroad, holding a residency visa, and taking full advantage of opportunities to expand my horizons while here in Abu Dhabi. After pinching myself to make sure that this isn't a life conjured in dreams during a lengthy slumber, I turn to Paul and confirm the reality of our situation aloud. It melts my heart to see him smile in response and agree with me that we should sieze every opportunity. Because, simply...why not? Often, in response- plans, travel itineraries, hopes, and dreams begin to spout from his soul, where he has held them to share with me, outlining possibilities for our future together. This how we came to possess our Gala passes. We are living here during the Film Festival, Paul loves movies, and when will we ever get this chance again? Maybe next year? But who knows what a year holds. We secured our passes. :)

After a delightful dinner shared with friends of lentil soup, hummus with fresh flat-bread, falafel, and beef cordon blue at the Lebanese Flower (one of my local favorites), Paul darted to the side of a bustling street and hailed a couple of taxis for us (they are very strict about the limit of four passengers). I should add that here in Abu Dhabi if you ask for a cab, you will get a much more expensive, albeit nicer, transfer. Cabs are considered chauffeured cars. Taxis are the very affordable and convenient ways to navigate the sometimes congested and aggressive streets of Abu Dhabi. Taxi drivers are available in a variety of nationalities, proficiencies in English, and yes, even aromas. No, you don't get to choose your preference on any of the varieties. I can't complain, though, these men always get me where I need to be- most often without a proper address ,only a vague location and at best, a landmark. They are quite astonishing in their knowledge and navigation of a city that does not have numbered buildings or actual addresses. And all of this for what would be equivalent to a few dollars in the US.
We wound our way through the "backroads" behind familiar hotels and venues, avoiding the heavier traffic of the Corniche (busy and very popular street along the beach) to our destination of the Emirates Palace. From our vantage in the back of the car, the palace loomed infront of us, expansive and regally lit with soft yellow and vibrant purple uplighting. Towering columns and archways welcome you to the grounds after entering through a roundabout, complete with a central flickering, lit fountain. Guards nod you in through the mostly open gates and you begin your ascent to the front of the Palace. Although no royalty actually lives here, one feels the air of such an importance when chauffeured in through the winding and steep entry. Doors are whisked open by identically dressed doormen and valets and guests are guided through a variety of options once inside the glittering vastness of the Palace. Gold is the metal and color of choice, offered in options of the decor, available to eat, or purchase in to take with you from the Gold ATM all inside the sparking front doors. A grand atrium allows for views of many floors, reaching an apex in the elaborately decorated ceiling, with each balcony overlooking the impressive central area and featuring sparking chandeliers. Everything that glitters is gold (or at least gold colored) in the Palace.
Following directions from very strategically placed and helpful guides, we find ourselves whisked down two escalators and descending into another common area, this time featuring a red carpet, cameras, ropes, backdrops for paparazzi, and very busy official looking people with clipboards, name tags, and headsets. The gold is somewhat dimmed (is that even possible?!?) by the bright lights illuminating the red carpet and staging areas.

Our evening progresses very "Hollywood" style, or what I would perceive to be Hollywood style, with an applauded entrance of Adrien Brody, the actor from the Pianist. This is his newest film, and the premiere nonetheless. Of course, the director, the screenwriter, and several other VIPS are introduced and following two hours of almost dialogue-less "Wrecked" movie, there is a Q and A session with them. (I will attempt to post some of the responses on here, at the very least Adrien's attempt at being funny.) :)

I will say, one of the most interesting parts of the evening was sitting a mere eight rows behind an academy award winning actor at the premiere of his newest film, while he watched the movie in public for the first time. It felt historic (although I'm sure any historian would disagree). I found myself feeling like not only part of my experience in the world, but as part of an event- something that the rest of the world could look to. And I was there. I realize it is not historically significant at all, or even important in the least...but it was undoubtedly fun and interesting to participate. My only regret is that I didn't at least attempt to have a picture taken on the red carpet. :)


*Note: the last several pictures were stealthily snapped with Paul's cellphone camera because cameras were forbidden...so the quality is bad. Adrien Brody is the one in the gray suit and gray hat in the middle of the bottom picture and on the far right of the one of them standing on stage during the question and answer session.

2 comments:

  1. I love this, bringing us into the excitement of your evening. Feel like I've been hobnobbing with the gentry. The pictures add ao much to your blog and I love the great ones in the back of a cab! Do wish you had gotten one on the red carpet. Even though you have told me a lot of this on Skype, I love that I can read it over and over again, as I do all your blogs. Thanks Nikki for sharing the adventure of a lifetime with all of us who read your blog. We are constantly being educated. I love you and look forward to all your blogs and all the new and exciting adventures before you and Paul. Without him it wouldn't be such an adventure, would it. I love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed every minute Niki, all the way from Cunningham. Thanks Tammy T

    ReplyDelete