Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

we've arrived! Oh, well...over a month ago...

I love to blog, sharing pieces of myself with friends and family (oh and the occasional stranger who virtually stumbles into me) but now I sit here staring at a blank screen and a flashing cursor, in my comfy hotel room at a shiny new laptop, connected to an internet that cost us so many dirhams I don't even want to think about what it converts to in US dollars. Ignorance truly is bliss sometimes, especially when we're talking about conversion rates. The pressure to perform and write is not the issue, although the compliments are extremely humbling, especially since they refer to my meandering stream of consciousness. My block, the wall erected in front of my experiences that impedes the movement of fingers on the keys can be summed up in one word: overload. In a world of sensory overload where surround sound speakers blast Dolby digital quality sounds while being engulfed by a screen that is bigger than real life- in high def or more recently 3d, my body (even on a cellular level I'm sure) is accustomed to absorbing as much information as possible to experience, remember, and later document the adventure that is our lives. The problem is that I've been receiving images, sounds, smells, tastes, experiences, moments, emotions, friendships and any other feeling you can conjure, since we left Sweden- preserving and saving them to later be freed. We've said goodbye to our Swedish family, strolled quaint streets lined with shops in Paris, visited locations older than our home country, sold what felt like all of our earthly processions, put our "daughter" Lady in foster care (we love you Reeds!), positioned ourselves out of physical reach and thousands of miles from family and friends, been unfaithful to the house we're buying by becoming landlords, moved literally around the globe (I'm talking an entire 1/2 of a turn here), and this summer alone have spent at least 49 hours snuggled in a cylindrical cage with strangers passing time between destinations. Referring to one's life as a "roller-coaster ride" is cliche', but I understand the reference. The highs and lows, twists, turns, exhilaration, and fear while screaming your head off and loving every minute. I feel that now, exiting the ride completely spent, exhausted and deliriously happy, only to circle the barriers and rejoin the ques to go again.

A incredibly huge portion of my life is comprised by two elements constantly- my inner monologue that I am incessantly composing as well a soundtrack only heard within the confines of my consciousness. Through my experiences, I compose sentences, edit, and revise descriptions in my head- as one would in a word processing program. These fragments are sometimes stored, but mostly just coaxed into existence for my enjoyment. Describing the world around me, labeling my feelings, providing a description to sensory experiences allows me the pleasure of fully engaging myself in the moment. These vignettes, the moments in time, however have lodged themselves in my memory and all anxiously await the opportunity to burst through the barrier that has been my lack of available time and internet. So now I sit, staring at a blank screen and a flashing cursor, in my comfy hotel room at a shiny new laptop, connected to an internet that will eventually allow me to sift through the memories, sharing pieces of myself through written word. I am anxious to see if they sort into a logical, meaningful time-line of happenings or if it's more of an ebb and flow, bringing valuable remnants back to the shore to be found in the morning by those up early enough to gather them.

Basically, thanks to all of you for asking...yes the blogs will come. It is just undetermined in what order. ;) We can share in that surprise together.

Thanks for waiting, showing support, and loving me all the while. <3

1 comment:

  1. If this doesn't post, I will have to wait for you to help me. I sometimes feel so stupid on the computer. I was so happy to see your new blog and look forward to the next ones when you have time. You have such a wonderful way with words and it is so exciting to read them. Can't wait to read each new chapter you post on your journey. I love you and the time you make to do this.♥

    ReplyDelete