Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Mornings and Oyster Stew

For as long as I can remember, and even years and years before that, my family shares an extremely unique holiday tradition- we enjoy Oyster Stew as our Christmas morning breakfast. Of course, as children, my brother, sister, and I would excitedly wake our parents and spend a pretty traditional morning "oohhing" and "ahhing" over the piles of presents Santa left for us while tearing into festively wrapped gifts. After the excitement of the morning slowed, however, and the adults had enough time to finish their coffee either my dad or my grandma would head to the kitchen to start our traditional pot of Oyster Stew. The tradition dates back for generations, actually. My grandma's grandparents lived on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. As best as I can remember from the years of hearing the tale of our tradition (and I'm sure my Grandma will correct the details that are a little off) my Grandaddy Sheilds would get oysters in the shell from the Eastern shore, or if not, my great-grandmother, would find some from the local grocery store. Many families would make oyster dressing, but not ours. Our family has warmed our tummies with this creamy treat for generations. Christmas morning always has my grandma or dad standing at the stove stirring a warming pot of delicious tradition. I can literally count on one hand the Christmases that I have missed my oyster stew, including one that I spent with my family on a cruise to Mexico. To emphasize the importance, the first Christmas that I spent with my new husband's family his mom bought oysters to make oyster stuffing and oyster stew for me, and even though they didn't really like it the welcoming sentiment was ever present. This unique Christmas tradition will forever hold a very special place in my heart because of the people I share it with. Feel free to enjoy our recipe at any time of the year as I do, but sprinkled with a little Christmas morning magic, the stew tastes even better.

Oyster Stew

  • 1 quart oysters (the fresher the better, and my Grandma Pop will tell you not to even bother with Gulf oysters)
  • Milk- most of a gallon
  • 1 stick of butter
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • salt and pepper
  • oyster crackers (or saltines if you must)

1. Using a large pot, melt the stick of butter on medium high heat.

2. Fork the oysters from the container, leaving the juice and residue behind and simmer the oysters in the butter. Add several very generous shakes of Worcestershire sauce along with plenty of salt and pepper.

3. Cook oysters in the butter mixture until the edges curl (they begin to look like ruffles).

4. Slowly fill the pot with milk while stirring the oysters, butter mixture, and milk together. Fill the pot 2/3 full of milk.

5. Reduce heat to medium or medium/low, keeping the stew warm but not boiling for at least 15-20 minutes for the flavors to combine. Make sure to keep watch over the pot and stir pretty continuously. The butter will rise to the surface but should stay liquid. If the butter starts to harden, slowly turn the heat up.

6. Ladle out bowl fulls and serve with bite sized oyster crackers. Enjoy our family holiday tradition!

Thank you Grandma, Dad, and Mom for keeping this tradition alive and well in our family. It holds a very special place in my heart and in my holiday traditions. Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. Good job Nikki. This literally is a Christmas morning tradition dating back to my grandparents who lived on the Eastern Shore of Virginia.Yes, when we had to we bought them at the local grocer but many times my Dad got the oysters in the shell from the Eastern Shore. We are lucky to have a lcal grocer in Paducah who stocks them atraight from Virginia for Thanksgiving and Christmas so we can still enjoy this tradition. Nothing like the oysters from Eastern Virginia. I wish you were here to join with us tomorrow morning. I'll think of you and hope soon you will spend Christmas here with us.PS, if there's any left over, reheated is great. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just one more note, I don't particularly dislike Gulf oysters but I would never use Pacific oysters. Not only do they smell bad, they don't taste very good either.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas!! I have our oyster in the refrigerator to make my stew in the morning!! We could never miss oyster stew on Christmas morning. And by the way Barbara Jean makes it for breakfast for her family too. Enjoy your stew and have a wonderful Christmas!! I love and miss you both!!

    ReplyDelete