Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Rambutan Anyone?


Various rambutans have caught my eye while pursuing the produce section of local grocery stories. How could they not, they are cute little fruit with green "hair." How could you help but to stop and stare? Until last week I hadn't actually purchased any. I like to try new things, especially fruit, but I didn't quite know what to think of the quirky rambutan. I honestly didn't know what to do with then. This all changed last week when a little girl in my class brought some in for her snack. They were extremely easy to break apart and eat. No utensils required. And what's better, inside, it looked like a lychee! So, at my next trip to Abella, I picked up a bag of them for 18 dirhams. Inside is a white fruit with one seed in the middle. I've heard it described as "perfumey" but since I don't particularly want to eat perfume, I think it's more of a light, fresh, fruity flavor. As long as you can get past the green hairs, there is a delightful treat inside! I understand why Malasians named is after the Malay word for "hairs." The lesson learned? When a rambutan catches your eye, you should stop and give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment